Sunday, March 7, 2010

And the Winner Is...




Yah, I won. I won the lean-out challenge our CrossFit gym held. I went ahead and went full-boar and lost the most body fat percentage of the people who participated in the challenge (there were around 25). I am actually surprised that I won because it didn't feel like the program required as much mental energy to lean out as it has in the past. I not only lost more % than all the women, but all the men as well. Originally, there was to be one grand prize winner, (which would been me, as I mentioned), but the trainers decided to have a men's winner as well as a women's. This sounds fair and good, right? Sure, until I found out that instead of the $210 that I won (hee hee, yippee!), I would have gotten about $450!!!!!

This sounds extremely self-serving, I know. After a slight twinge of "dang it!" I realized that I gained way more than $210. Like:
*body fat %: started @ 20.1, ended at 12.8 (holy cow, that is what I was in HIGH SCHOOL!)
*weight: before: 145.4; after: 137
*deadlift max: before: 205 lbs; after: 230 lbs.
*"Fran" time: before: 12:40; after: 10:23 ("Fran" is a CrossFit benchmark workout that consists of 21-15-9 reps of pull-ups and 65# thrusters, all done in the rep sequence as fast as possible; I still have a ways to go: one of our women trainers has a sub-4 minute time!!)
*diet: before: whatever, mostly clean eating; after/during/now: no grains, dairy, or sugar (except for special occasions, like the trifle birthday treat I made for our son Adam: yum!)
*mental toughness: before: ok, can do this; after: BRING IT ON, GRANDPA!!!!
*Dave lost several percentage points in body fat as well and eats cleaner than I do (read: he did not take a single indulgence meal on the 7-week challenge!!)
*my children eat more healthily as well, and: they LIKE it!
*my attitude towards food is much more balanced :)
*my training, even doubled for my preparation for the Ironman, feels doable. (I know, weird.)

These are my before and after pictures. I honestly thought I would "bulk up" doing something like this, but that hasn't been the case. Whew! So, with the money I won, I paid for my indoor bike trainer and intend to buy some pants that fit. I know my pants look funny all baggy, because, as I was getting ready for work the other day, Faith said, "Mom, are those Daddy's pants??" haha, that was a clue phone!

Anyway, yay for me. Let's see what else happens. I am hoping for survival of the Ironman next! Only 7 weeks to race day! ACK!!!

4 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

You amaze and inspire me! I love you.

cynthia greenhalgh said...

Ok, you're my hero. I'm going to do this. Check out your 6 pack. Amazing! Great job!

eebs said...

Haha. wow, you are pretty cool. Maybe I'll see you at the Moab half on the 21st.
<3

Karen said...

You are amazing! I am so pumped up....after my crossfit workout last night and now this, I am so inspired....i must admit, my before pictures are much worse, and so are my measurements....maybe I will share those once I look a little more like your hottness!! Great JOB!!!